[simpits-tech] Falcon views 360?

Marv De Beque mdebeque at woh.rr.com
Tue Oct 14 21:49:09 PDT 2003

³The peripheral vision is much more sensative to light changes and movement
than that at the fovea.²  True, but the contrast from a projector should be
good enough.  You can always make the room dark.  Also, the projector image
speed is not an issue.

²Plus you also mention about movement of the eye.  You would be able to
focus on the "blurred" image without moving you head and that could be
pretty distracting.²  Again, make the detailed field of view large enough to
accommodate eye movement.  If I remember correctly, a normal out the window
view in Falcon 4 spans something like 60 degrees!  So realistically, how
much do you want to be able to turn your eyes before turning your head?  I
don¹t see that being a limitation and you could track eye movement if you
really want to be a stickler, but head tracking is easier and I think that
it would be 99% effective.

³Also, your head can move a lot faster than that servo mirror could.²  I am
sure that you can find a servo or some motor that will far exceed the need.

What I proposed is not a perfect solution (you would have to fly a real
jet), but think of the possibilities.  First, you only need two views.  You
could easily build this system today for under $3,000.  Probably under
$2,000.  The projectors are 80% to 90% the total cost.   What are the
alternatives?  Placing a half dozen monitors around your desk?  What about
all those seems?  How much area can 6 monitors really cover?   VR goggles?
Good field of view, but lousy resolution.  You get 60 degrees or so of FOV
at 1024 by 768 pixels on a really good pair.  Most goggles have mush less
resolution and still cost some bucks.  Of course if you have $100,000 you
buy what the military uses.  Add to that you can¹t see your cockpit (which
you just spent years putting all that detail into).  Would you rather flip a
virtual switch or a real one you can feel?

Marv