[simpits-tech] F4 SP4 stop order

Steve Wilson mafsix at gci-net.com
Thu Oct 2 23:28:21 PDT 2003

Interesting reading indeed, Jim.  Thanks!

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=09fcaca8eec5af04a138211f
fe3bbb94&threadid=50109

Well, it does figure that at some point the lifeguard was going to tell
everyone to
get out of the pool.  Nobody likes the lifeguard when that happens.

Cavanaugh obviously is as gracious and tactful as a heart attack, but then
again,
if he and the folks he represents are to maintain control of their product,
and if
OIR and Falcon V are to remain viable, at some point they have to say
"when."

And OIR is going to be released next month.  Wheeee!

Seriously, we want someone to stay in business producing better and better
Falcons.
The UT and other folk were magnificent.  Legendary.  Heroic.  But when a
for-profit
concern does the developing, they open wide the scope of possible
development, and
they also make mods that bring the software core itself up to date, so as to
take advantage
of the latest state of the art on the hardware side of things.  And only a
for-profit concern
can truly advance the existence of a title over the long haul, since they
centralize things.

Did the community as a whole get scrod?  Nope.  We got three major,
incredible freeware
upgrades to a thoroughly dated product, ones which took the sim far beyond
it's original level
of quality.  Is there gratitude on the part of the owners of the code for
this?  Nope.  And that is
the shame of it all.  Did the developers get scrod?  Sure.  They worked for
free, and their efforts
were, in the end, stomped on.  A lot of feelings got hurt there!   And as a
guy that has a lot of his
own creative juices, I feel for them that they weren't able to get SP4
finished to the state they wanted.
However, their own inefficiencly allowed SP4 to languish for many, many
months.  I've been
checking the UT site frequently for many, many moons with barely a news
article, and no download
in sight.  Now it's time for G2I, et al, to start making some money off the
Falcon title, and that means
that, one way or another, any potential conflicts *must* be eliminated.
It's harsh, but it's part of business
survival in a very narrowly defined market.

Ultimately, on reading the entire thread, it appears there is reasonable
hope that the data edits in SP4
will be made available at some point.  Either G2I will do it as a freebie if
their demands are met.  Or,
perhaps we'll see a return to the methods of eRazor and the release will
happen clandestinely
overseas.  JMHO.

Sure would love to see this surface on CNN, though.  <evil grin>

Steve