[simpits-tech] Video cards

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sat Nov 29 23:27:46 PST 2003

If all you care about is speed, get the latest ATI (ok that's going to be
over $150, but still.........) If you need to keep it under $150 (mid-range
card), I'm not sure which you'd be better off with. Nvidia has a better track
record as far as performance and driver stability, but the latest benchmarks
on the hot cards lean considerably towards the ATI 9800 and company, and I've
heard ATI is finally getting their driver situation squared away. I'm
planning on getting a video card soon myself to match my own new
fire-breathing behemoth (still using my old GeForce 2 MX400) and personally I
plan on sticking with nvidia based on their solid track record and excellent
Linux support. I can live with a few less FPS for that. As to image quality,
not sure. I seem to recall one brand was generally a bit more favored in that
department but I forget which.........I suggest you do some research on the
net, paricularly sites like tomshardware.com (they have a nice video card
benchmark chart, as well as reviews and comparisons of various cards).

That GF4 MX is, if I'm not mistaken, just a souped up card based on the old
GF2 architecture. Upgrading is highly recommended. :) Pay attention to things
like clock speeds, fill rates, special features like pixel shaders etc, and
DirectX 9 support (I wouldn't buy a non-DX9 card these days, a lot of new
fancy graphical effects are being achieved through DX9.......I've already run
across a couple games, LOMAC demo and FS2004, that evidently need a DX9 card
for certain things.....or at least some modern feature my card doesn't
support).

	-Matt Bailey