[simpits-tech] Keyboard encoders

James Hallows simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 25 May 2003 14:27:18 +0100

>But if you use a keyboard encoder - aren't the ports static - meaning you
>have to connect "a" to 1-1 and "A" to 1-2 ?

No not at all. You connect up a load of switches to your encoder usually in
a matrix configuration. And then for programming, well you just allocate
what scan code you want to generate and how it is to be handled when the
switch is closed/released. So with both the X-Keys and Hagstrom, you can
program a switch to generate a single key, multiple keys, key down and key
up codes. There's a lot more to programming a single switch/single key
combination than meets the eye, as those who get into programmable
joysticks will know.

>  About the software, my friend is writing VC ( he will hit me if i mention
>VB near him),

Yeah most usually do ;) Still - Foxy and all of its components is written
in VB - and it's as stable as a rock.

>He has all the modules ready -
>
>getting all the phidgets connected and identifying them ,
>capturing the state change
>translating the state change to a key stroke ( Inc. left right Alt Ctrl
>Shift and sequences and anything else anyone ever mentioned on the list)
>sending the key stroke to the KB buffer
>
>and a few other things, all working and tested, all he needs to do now is
>put the together in a nice interface were after you have done the wiring ,
>all you have to do is flick a switch and the software asks you to click the
>keyboard for the right combination.
>
>After that is finished, he will work on the output stage - controlling the
>" not interface kit" phidgets.

Sounds perfect. Look forward to seeing that sometime as that could make our
lives very much easier ;)

Cheers

James