[simpits-tech] Keyboard encoders

Ido Dekkers simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 25 May 2003 14:34:16 +0300

But if you use a keyboard encoder - aren't the ports static - meaning you
have to connect "a" to 1-1 and "A" to 1-2 ?
 About the software, my friend is writing VC ( he will hit me if i mention
VB near him),
He has all the modules ready -

getting all the phidgets connected and identifying them ,
capturing the state change
translating the state change to a key stroke ( Inc. left right Alt Ctrl
Shift and sequences and anything else anyone ever mentioned on the list)
sending the key stroke to the KB buffer

and a few other things, all working and tested, all he needs to do now is
put the together in a nice interface were after you have done the wiring ,
all you have to do is flick a switch and the software asks you to click the
keyboard for the right combination.

After that is finished, he will work on the output stage - controlling the
" not interface kit" phidgets.

Ido

             James Hallows
             <nutty@flyfoxy.co
             Sent by:                  simpits-tech@simpits.org
             simpits-tech-admi                                          cc
             n@simpits.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [simpits-tech] Keyboard
             05/25/2003 01:55          encoders
             PM

             Please respond to
             simpits-tech@simp
                  its.org

Yup - that's as I thought.
http://www.phidgets.com/phidget-interfacekit/ScannedDigitalInput.html tells

me it probably just informs me when a switch has been closed or not. That
still means I'd need to find some way of sending keyboard scan codes to the

keyboard buffer - no mean feat in a driver and better implemented in
hardware via a keyboard encoder which doesn't require driver support or CPU

resources. Don't get me wrong - I would love it if Phidgets did all this as

it's natively coded for the language I develop in - VB. That's a gift for
me and integrating it with my Cougar work.

But currently, that still makes the X-Keys or Hagstroms cheaper and better
bets fulfilling the original requested application for a device that can be

connected to switches and be programmable to generate keyboard scan codes.

Cheers

James

>you can find it in the on-line shop under the prototype section and the
>documentation is :
>http://www.phidgets.com/phidget-interfacekit/phidget-interfacekit_hardware.html

>              James Hallows
>              <nutty@flyfoxy.co