[simpits-tech] Keyboard encoders

James Hallows simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 18:03:13 +0100

Sounds good and I hope so as being a programmer, Phidgets suits me very
well. Looking forward to getting hold of some of the units to play around
with.

However as the original post was really about x no. of switches and how to
get them to generate keyboard "keys" then for the money, ease of connection
and programmability, you can't really beat X-keys USB Keyboard Matrix
Control Board (XFPB-25-US) at $ 59.95 or the Hagstrom units. Now the X-Keys
will allow 128 "switches" with 2 layer programming on each, and goes
through a single USB connector. You'd need 4 Phidget Interface Kits 0/32/32
to have that number of switches and you're into over $400 for that, and it
won't generate a single scancode. Even if it could you'd need to have some
software running all the time scanning the hardware, but that's not the
case with the X-Keys that once programmed stays programmed. On the flip
side of course you can use the Phidgets to turn on circuits if my
understanding is correct.

Anyway still researching ;)

Thankfully my Cougar will do most of the hard programming work so I too
only need something relatively simple.

Cheers

James