[simpits-tech] Keyboard encoders

Ido Dekkers simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 19:11:00 +0300

I'll hopefully solve the software problem ( for the keyboard )  by the end
of the month with the help of my friend.
and a bit later on for the rest

             James Hallows
             <nutty@flyfoxy.co
             Sent by:                  simpits-tech@simpits.org
             simpits-tech-admi                                          cc
             n@simpits.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [simpits-tech] Keyboard
             05/22/2003 07:00          encoders
             PM

             Please respond to
             simpits-tech@simp
                  its.org

At 11:11 22/05/03 +0100, you wrote:
>On Thu, 22 May 2003, James Hallows wrote:
>
> > >Why not go with phidgets ?
> >

> > Are Phidgets capable of outputting keyboard scan codes?
> >

>Nope. Phidgets rock, they are very very cool - but they are aimed at the
>programmer, they're not a "plug-in and go" solution.

That's my take on them as well. I'm currently researching my options for my

pit, and I've broken my needs down into:

a) Something that will generate keyboard scan codes and appropriate control

of that
b) Something to turn on or off lights
c) Digital displays
d) Instruments
e) Possibly small monitors for MFDs.

In terms of (a) suitable devices that will give me appropriate control over

scan codes, without reinventing the wheel, I believe I'm down to EPIC,
X-Keys and Hagstrom. Phidgets don't do this and developing software
especially for USB devices that will feed into the keyboard buffer so that
it can be used with all sims in all OS isn't that easy.

Still doing my homework ;)

Cheers

James