[simpits-tech] Sim bikes! (was: Air & Space Smithsonian....)

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 23:51:05 -0500

Hmmmmm, actually, we don't want the bike body to tilt, we actually need
vertical g loading (more or less impossible.......) since turning is
accomplished by balancing the bike with centrifugal force. Centrifugal force
overcomes gravity, tilting the sim bike would introduce unrealistic side
loads (like tilting a flight sim in a coordinated turn). Force sensors to
detect rider lean would be good though, I think.

>From here on I'm speaking of "traditional" bikes, where you turn the fork
with the bars rather than using the bars strictly to lean the bike (GP500).
It seems force feedback is needed. As the sim detects rider lean (and the
simulated bike is banked), it would need to pull the steering into the
direction of the lean. In upright position, steering force should be almost
neutral, perhaps just a bit positive stability (self-centering) or maybe just
resistance. So maybe the hardware wouldn't be quite as complex as we first
anticipated, but the software sounds like a nightmare. Plus, I sure don't see
how it could behave very convincingly without positive 1+ g-loads. FWIW, I've
never driven a motorcycle, just bicycles, so take it for what it's worth. :)

	-Matt Bailey