[simpits-tech] Need a bit of electronics help

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:11:05 -0600

Can anyone out there help with what should be a simple electronic gizmo?
I need a "thing" that will discharge a 6 cell NiCd battery pack down to
about 5 or 6 volts so I don't reverse any cells. I tried a TIP3055
transistor with a 5.1 volt zener diode between the collector and base,
but it barely turns on (light bulb I'm using as a load barely lights up)
and I don't think it's stopping at 5.1 volts like it should. Am I
missing something about how zeners work? This particular transistor can
handle 15 amps and I want to discharge at 20-30 amps, so I planned on
using 2 in parallel, but does anyone have a better idea? Sure I could go
buy a gizmo that would do exactly what I want for about $15, but where's
the fun in that? ;)

I gotta take me some electronics classes sometime soon.
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net