[simpits-tech] Leaving for EHAM2003

Mike Williams simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:07:16 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_z4ZKKaZV+VC7FHkmyYwp8Q)

Excellent Erwin!!

     I know there are several of us looking for this solution to our viper
pits and the timing is great, seems there are several of us that I know of,
at about the same stage of building and instruments/interfacing will be in
the near future for all of us. Could you elaborate on what instruments you
will be making for
the Viper, in what order, price range. I know that's asking a lot, but tell
us what you can, maybe it would influence others to wait on sim-instruments
items
versus investing in other solutions.

Looking forward to the F4 Glass Pro, will this be freeware also? I would
defiantly pay for it if not. Are there any new features in the Pro version
we don't know about?

Thanks for the update, I for one welcome info like this from developers
being posted to the list.

also, very good report.

Mike Williams

 -------Original Message-------

  From: simpits-tech@simpits.org
  Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 11:09:22 AM
  To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
  Subject: RE: [simpits-tech] Leaving for EHAM2003 [virus checked]

  Here's a report on last weekend's event EHAM 2003.

  This weekend was organized by FlightDeck Solutions
  (www.flightdecksolutions.com) and the public was mainly MSFS users
  building their 7X7 or Airbus pits. It was two days of presentation about
  all the aspects of building a simulator platform, really interesting
  stuff was presented.

  _switching to plug mode_

  It was also my first appearance as the new member of the Sim-Instruments
  team and we presented our new FSIS system with some prototype
  instruments. People were totally amazed about the fidelity of these
  instruments and we got real confirmation that we have a product you all
  have been waiting for. The concept of this system is so unique and
  require so much explaining that even after an hour long presentation by
  Marc and Jim, people still could barely grasp the possibilities of this
  new system. I too (working on the development of the system) keep
  finding new possibilities every day. We will be updating our web site
  (www.sim-instruments.com) shortly to reflect the latest developments.
  The coming months we'll be releasing a variety of instruments (incl. the
  F-16 ones).

  The problem is now how to get the functionality of the system described.
  There are just to much possibilities. It will not only support our
  instruments (with build in controllers) but also other controllers to
  attach to input/output devices (like switches, rotaries, lamps, leds, or
  even existing real instruments). almost all the hard- and software is
  done in-house so we can implement very quickly any custom requirements
  for a not yet supported system. Also FSIS will support MSFS and Falcon4,
  so no programming or scripting required.

  The instruments are also indescribable, just have to see them. We are
  using custom steppers which give an ultimate smooth motion (4000 steps
  per revolution) and are extremely quiet. The instrument does not
  directly 'display' a value as it is read from the sim. These value(s)
  are first fed into a software model (which runs inside the instrument
  controller) before it is translated to actual needle motion. This allows
  us to give the needle the exact look of the real instrument, like
  acceleration/deceleration and/or other mechanical characteristics of the
  needle. Also the model can take into account values not available by the
  sim. For example, the ASI read the KIAS from the sim, but can also read
  values like static pressure or pitot icing (from an external fault
  system), and take these into account as well (before showing it). This
  means that faults introduced into the system will cascade to all the
  instruments affected, automatically. All these instruments are
  plug&play. no configuration, calibration or programming required.

  We are still in full development (although the prototypes are fully
  operational), so it will still take a few months before we can deliver.

  _leaving plug mode_

  I also showed my new version of the almost finished F4 Glass (& F4 Data
  Mirror) and I will release them in two weeks. Also I plan to do a
  (hardware-accelerated) 3D OpenGL version, called F4 Glass Pro..

  All in all a very exiting weekend for me, and I hope you forgive my
  shameless plug of our new products. But in my opinion this new system
  will really be something a lot of pitbuilders have been waiting for.

  cheers,

  Erwin Neyt
  Sim-Instruments bv
  F-16 Development.

--Boundary_(ID_z4ZKKaZV+VC7FHkmyYwp8Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
class=029345219-10062003>Excellent Erwin!!</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
class=029345219-10062003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
class=029345219-10062003>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;I know there are several of us
looking for this solution to our viper pits and the timing is great, seems there
are&nbsp;several of us that I know of,</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>at
about the same stage of building and instruments/interfacing will be in the near
future for all of us. Could you elaborate on what instruments you will be making
for</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>the
Viper,&nbsp;in what order, price range. I know that's asking a lot,&nbsp;but
tell us what you can, maybe it would influence others to wait
on&nbsp;sim-instruments items</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>versus
investing in other solutions.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Looking forward to the F4 Glass Pro, will this be freeware also? I would
defiantly pay for it if not. Are there any new features in the Pro version we
don't know about?&nbsp; </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Thanks
for the update, I for one welcome info like this from developers being posted to
the list.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>also,
very good report.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Mike
Williams</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=029345219-10062003></SPAN><SPAN
class=029345219-10062003>&nbsp;</SPAN><EM>-------Original
Message-------</EM></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV id=receivestrings>
  <DIV dir=ltr style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt" <i><B>From:</B></I> <A
  href="mailto:simpits-tech@simpits.org">simpits-tech@simpits.org</A></DIV>
  <DIV dir=ltr style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt" <i><B>Date:</B></I> Tuesday, June 10,
  2003 11:09:22 AM</DIV>
  <DIV dir=ltr style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt" <i><B>To:</B></I> <A
  href="mailto:simpits-tech@simpits.org">simpits-tech@simpits.org</A></DIV>
  <DIV dir=ltr style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt" <i><B>Subject:</B></I> RE: [simpits-tech]
  Leaving for EHAM2003 [virus checked]</DIV></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Here's a report on last weekend's event EHAM 2003.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>This weekend was organized by FlightDeck Solutions</DIV>
  <DIV>(<A
  href="http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/">www.flightdecksolutions.com</A>)
  and the public was mainly MSFS users</DIV>
  <DIV>building their 7X7 or Airbus pits. It was two days of presentation
  about</DIV>
  <DIV>all the aspects of building a simulator platform, really
interesting</DIV>
  <DIV>stuff was presented.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>_switching to plug mode_ </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>It was also my first appearance as the new member of the
  Sim-Instruments</DIV>
  <DIV>team and we presented our new FSIS system with some prototype</DIV>
  <DIV>instruments. People were totally amazed about the fidelity of these</DIV>
  <DIV>instruments and we got real confirmation that we have a product you
  all</DIV>
  <DIV>have been waiting for. The concept of this system is so unique and</DIV>
  <DIV>require so much explaining that even after an hour long presentation
  by</DIV>
  <DIV>Marc and Jim, people still could barely grasp the possibilities of
  this</DIV>
  <DIV>new system. I too (working on the development of the system) keep</DIV>
  <DIV>finding new possibilities every day. We will be updating our web
  site</DIV>
  <DIV>(<A href="http://www.sim-instruments.com/">www.sim-instruments.com</A>)
  shortly to reflect the latest developments.</DIV>
  <DIV>The coming months we'll be releasing a variety of instruments (incl.
  the</DIV>
  <DIV>F-16 ones).</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>The problem is now how to get the functionality of the system
  described.</DIV>
  <DIV>There are just to much possibilities. It will not only support our</DIV>
  <DIV>instruments (with build in controllers) but also other controllers
  to</DIV>
  <DIV>attach to input/output devices (like switches, rotaries, lamps, leds,
  or</DIV>
  <DIV>even existing real instruments). almost all the hard- and software
  is</DIV>
  <DIV>done in-house so we can implement very quickly any custom
  requirements</DIV>
  <DIV>for a not yet supported system. Also FSIS will support MSFS and
  Falcon4,</DIV>
  <DIV>so no programming or scripting required.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>The instruments are also indescribable, just have to see them. We
  are</DIV>
  <DIV>using custom steppers which give an ultimate smooth motion (4000
  steps</DIV>
  <DIV>per revolution) and are extremely quiet. The instrument does not</DIV>
  <DIV>directly 'display' a value as it is read from the sim. These
  value(s)</DIV>
  <DIV>are first fed into a software model (which runs inside the
  instrument</DIV>
  <DIV>controller) before it is translated to actual needle motion. This
  allows</DIV>
  <DIV>us to give the needle the exact look of the real instrument, like</DIV>
  <DIV>acceleration/deceleration and/or other mechanical characteristics of
  the</DIV>
  <DIV>needle. Also the model can take into account values not available by
  the</DIV>
  <DIV>sim. For example, the ASI read the KIAS from the sim, but can also
  read</DIV>
  <DIV>values like static pressure or pitot icing (from an external fault</DIV>
  <DIV>system), and take these into account as well (before showing it).
  This</DIV>
  <DIV>means that faults introduced into the system will cascade to all
the</DIV>
  <DIV>instruments affected, automatically. All these instruments are</DIV>
  <DIV>plug&amp;play. no configuration, calibration or programming
  required.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>We are still in full development (although the prototypes are fully</DIV>
  <DIV>operational), so it will still take a few months before we can
  deliver.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>_leaving plug mode_</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I also showed my new version of the almost finished F4 Glass (&amp; F4
  Data</DIV>
  <DIV>Mirror) and I will release them in two weeks. Also I plan to do a</DIV>
  <DIV>(hardware-accelerated) 3D OpenGL version, called F4 Glass Pro..</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>All in all a very exiting weekend for me, and I hope you forgive my</DIV>
  <DIV>shameless plug of our new products. But in my opinion this new
  system</DIV>
  <DIV>will really be something a lot of pitbuilders have been waiting
for.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>cheers,</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Erwin Neyt</DIV>
  <DIV>Sim-Instruments bv</DIV>
  <DIV>F-16 Development.</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_z4ZKKaZV+VC7FHkmyYwp8Q)--