[simpits-tech] Re: Simpits-tech digest, Vol 1 #1029 - 13 msgs

Alex & Darlene Wiebe simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 23:51:04 -0500

> >ME will want to create a swap file that's probably at least 16 -  40MB
big.

> Not sure how ME handles it, but I know you can tell 98 how large to make
the
swap file, so if it is the same then that problem is easy enough to take
care of.

Yes ME handles it the same. Forgot to finish that thought. The sentence was
a warning about drive space requirements. My Win386.swp file is currently at
114MB, unmanaged. If the RAM (left after the RAM drive is running) is
sufficient enough, then theoretically, you could get away with no swap file.

Also, a couple general tips for any one looking to tweak their boxes.

1) Always set BOTH the min AND max sizes to be the same size (generally 2x
available RAM or 256 which ever is greater). If the swap file is allowed to
grow and shrink it will become fragmented, and defragmenting tools will not
touch it as it's a special system file. Also, apparently (I cannot remember
the source) if the sizes are the same, then the OS skips the whole section
of code dealing with the question "Should I grow the swap file or not?"
which saves precious cycles. (BTW, I just changed my settings :-)

2) If possible, move the swap file to a seperate HD - won't help with the PC
on a Bike project, but a good idea for the rest of us.