[simpits-tech] F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 14:42:05 -0400

--B_3137323326_159022

Well, after a lot of detail I have the first FULLY WORKING prototype with
the control box completed.

I have finally flown it in Falcon 4 and was a little concerned about the
roll axis since it seems to take a lot of yanking to get full deflection on
the DVM, but I was wrong, it flies like a dream!  This baby rocks!

I had it bench mounted so it is not in the actual position it would be in a
cockpit.  Still, it is everything I had hoped for and more.  It is
remarkably stable and accurate.  It seems easy enough to steer the aircraft
where you want it with precision.  It takes some getting used to since the
stick forces are much higher than a standard PC joystick, but welcome to
reality.  I am very pleased.

The external control box allows each axis (roll and pitch) to be adjusted
for trim and gain.  Gain can be either user adjusted by a knob for each axis
or a center switch can be activated to place the gain in a calibrated state
so the acting forces required for full defection are the same as the real
aircraft (F-16).

I mounted the Cougar's base PCB right into the control box.   This way I
don't need the base.  Everything just plugs into the back, including the
rudders and TQS.  That may be the right way to do it for production since it
solves some logistical problems and it is a whole lot cleaner and robust.

I am only going to have a few hours to play, ah, I mean test, this puppy.
It ships Monday for beta testing.  Sorry guys, the US Air Force has asked
for the first shot at it and I see it as my duty to give it up.  :-/  I am
not joking, they really are going to evaluate it this month.

Meanwhile, I will be getting accurate cost quotes together from machine
shops and I need to speak to a bunch of attorneys regarding my patent
rights.

I know you guys are drooling for price and availability, but there are
things that need to be done first.  The good news is that the dream is still
alive and kicking!

You can see a picture at:

http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/F16_SideSick.JPG

Regards,

Marv

--B_3137323326_159022

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>F-16 Force Sensitive Side Stick Update:</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT>Well, after a lot of detail I have the first FULLY =
WORKING prototype with the control box completed. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
I have finally flown it in Falcon 4 and was a little concerned about the ro=
ll axis since it seems to take a lot of yanking to get full deflection on th=
e DVM, but I was wrong, it flies like a dream! &nbsp;This baby rocks!<BR>
<BR>
I had it bench mounted so it is not in the actual position it would be in a=
 cockpit. &nbsp;Still, it is everything I had hoped for and more. &nbsp;It i=
s remarkably stable and accurate. &nbsp;It seems easy enough to steer the ai=
rcraft where you want it with precision. &nbsp;It takes some getting used to=
 since the stick forces are much higher than a standard PC joystick, but wel=
come to reality. &nbsp;I am very pleased.<BR>
<BR>
The external control box allows each axis (roll and pitch) to be adjusted f=
or trim and gain. &nbsp;Gain can be either user adjusted by a knob for each =
axis or a center switch can be activated to place the gain in a calibrated s=
tate so the acting forces required for full defection are the same as the re=
al aircraft (F-16).<BR>
<BR>
I mounted the Cougar's base PCB right into the control box. &nbsp;&nbsp;Thi=
s way I don't need the base. &nbsp;Everything just plugs into the back, incl=
uding the rudders and TQS. &nbsp;That may be the right way to do it for prod=
uction since it solves some logistical problems and it is a whole lot cleane=
r and robust.<BR>
<BR>
I am only going to have a few hours to play, ah, I mean test, this puppy. &=
nbsp;It ships Monday for beta testing. &nbsp;Sorry guys, the US Air Force ha=
s asked for the first shot at it and I see it as my duty to give it up. &nbs=
p;:-/ &nbsp;I am not joking, they really are going to evaluate it this month=
.<BR>
<BR>
Meanwhile, I will be getting accurate cost quotes together from machine sho=
ps and I need to speak to a bunch of attorneys regarding my patent rights. &=
nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
I know you guys are drooling for price and availability, but there are thin=
gs that need to be done first. &nbsp;The good news is that the dream is stil=
l alive and kicking! &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
You can see a picture at:<BR>
<BR>