[simpits-tech] My projector fix project

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:43:40 -0400

--=====================_501252==_.ALT

hi,

your challenges will involve producing enough light to illuminate the big
LCD (if 1000 properly focused lumens work well for 4 inches, how much more
for 15), and properly controlling the light path from the light, through
the panel and lens (which again, must be design optimized for the smaller
panel).

someone will point out that you are ever-so-close to an overhead design,
where all the above problems are addressed.

however, i would much rather see the tim taylor version of the mega15
projector ;-)

  - adm -

At 06:54 AM 7/30/03 +1200, you wrote:
>As some will know my projector took it' s own life in a rather grand
>manner some time ago, and I have been working on a cheap fix.
>
>I have investigated alternatives to the seriously expensive original
>replacement bulbs, but have ended up at a bit of a brick wall;  The
>projector uses a metal halide bulb, which uses a ballast and transformer
>setup which is very sensitive to the type of bulb being attached.  From
>research I've done it appears that if the replacement bulb is more than
>about 1% different in spec then it will blow either the ballast or
>transformer.  Not good.
>
>I have however stumbled over (which is a fair indication of my research
>skills...) two possible solutions.  One easy, one much harder, but do-able
>and with some very positive benefits.
>
>1, Many projectors have a way for technicians to isolate the signal
>generator from the lamp parts of the unit.  Used for service/repair
>work.  The down side is you will most likely need a tech/repair manual for
>the projector to find out how to do this.  Tech manual for my projector is
>not available, so I have asked around and got some tips..... results to
>follow, assuming I don't blow myself to tiny little bits :)
>
>2, If I can't get No1 to work then it's off to the department of drastic
>measures!
>I have been looking at some of the DIY projector projects on the net...and
>thought to my_sick_self "I can do better than that.."  Most of the DIYs
>use little tiny LCD's lit with consumer lighting units....
>So I, using the Tim "The Toolman" approach thought.....more power :)
>A projector consists of 3 main parts;  Light source, Image generator and lens.
>- Lens I got, remember the dead projector?
>- Light source... I spec some pretty good lights in stuff I design at work
>so that's no problem.
>- Image generator, forget 4" LCD's.... What about a 15" LCD..which are
>getting cheaper by the hour?
>I figure, rip the back of the LCD, shine honking big light through, focus
>with lenses...easy huh?
>This solution will be much *MUCH* bigger than a commercial projector
>setup, but has two definite advantages;  Bulbs will last thousands of
>hours, rather than hundreds (oh and they are cheap) and a modern LCD has
>much better resolution and colour depth than my existing projector.
>
>This weekend I plan on test flying the P-3 sim setup and then delving into
>the innards of the projector and see what happens...wish me luck!
>
>Sean.

>page.  Thanks!

----------

Alan D.
Mazurka
adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_501252==_.ALT

hi,<br><br>
your challenges will involve producing enough light to illuminate the big
LCD (if 1000 properly focused lumens work well for 4 inches, how much
more for 15), and properly controlling the light path from the light,
through the panel and lens (which again, must be design optimized for the
smaller panel).<br><br>
someone will point out that you are ever-so-close to an overhead design,
where all the above problems are addressed.<br><br>
however, i would much rather see the tim taylor version of the mega15
projector ;-)<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm -<br><br>
At 06:54 AM 7/30/03 +1200, you wrote:<br>
it' s own life in a rather grand manner some time ago, and I have been
working on a cheap fix.<br><br>
I have investigated alternatives to the seriously expensive original
replacement bulbs, but have ended up at a bit of a brick wall;&nbsp; The
projector uses a metal halide bulb, which uses a ballast and transformer
setup which is very sensitive to the type of bulb being attached.&nbsp;
>From research I've done it appears that if the replacement bulb is more
than about 1% different in spec then it will blow either the ballast or
transformer.&nbsp; Not good.<br><br>
I have however stumbled over (which is a fair indication of my research
skills...) two possible solutions.&nbsp; One easy, one much harder, but
do-able and with some very positive benefits.<br><br>
1, Many projectors have a way for technicians to isolate the signal
generator from the lamp parts of the unit.&nbsp; Used for service/repair
work.&nbsp; The down side is you will most likely need a tech/repair
manual for the projector to find out how to do this.&nbsp; Tech manual
for my projector is not available, so I have asked around and got some
tips..... results to follow, assuming I don't blow myself to tiny little
bits :)<br><br>
2, If I can't get No1 to work then it's off to the department of drastic
measures!<br>
I have been looking at some of the DIY projector projects on the
net...and thought to my_sick_self &quot;I can do better than
that..&quot;&nbsp; Most of the DIYs use little tiny LCD's lit with
consumer lighting units....<br>
So I, using the Tim &quot;The Toolman&quot; approach thought.....more
power :)<br>
A projector consists of 3 main parts;&nbsp; Light source, Image generator
and lens.<br>
- Lens I got, remember the dead projector?<br>
- Light source... I spec some pretty good lights in stuff I design at
work so that's no problem.<br>
- Image generator, forget 4&quot; LCD's.... What about a 15&quot;
LCD..which are getting cheaper by the hour?<br>
I figure, rip the back of the LCD, shine honking big light through, focus
with lenses...easy huh?<br>
This solution will be much *MUCH* bigger than a commercial projector
setup, but has two definite advantages;&nbsp; Bulbs will last thousands
of hours, rather than hundreds (oh and they are cheap) and a modern LCD
has much better resolution and colour depth than my existing
projector.<br><br>
This weekend I plan on test flying the P-3 sim setup and then delving
into the innards of the projector and see what happens...wish me
luck!<br><br>
Sean.<br><br>