[simpits-tech] Jetstream Update

Bubba simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:36:43 -0500

Darren Beaumont wrote:

> Quite a few a/c have the roll/pitch disconnect system, Saab 340, Saab
> 2000, ERJ 13x/14x etc.  The idea is if there is a control
> jam/restriction, you can either pull the handle for either pitch, roll
> or both, so that the unaffected side maintains some sort of control -
> as
> you've found out the only way to reset the system once on the ground
> is
> to start opening up panels etc.  The system can also operate if a
> higher
> than normal force is used, approx 45-50lbs of force for the Saab 340,
> which temporarily disconnects the affected channel and is
> automatically
> reset when the force returns to normal.

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that when the disconnects are pulled the capt.
has control of the left elevator and aileron, the FO has the right elevator
and aileron. Would be good if they were to agree as to what they were doing
if the disconnects were pulled since it's technically possible to control
pitch with roll inputs and roll with pitch inputs at that point.
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net