[simpits-tech] Jetstream Update

Bubba simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:41:57 -0500

Roy Coates wrote:

> For some reason known only to BAe, there are two levers which - when
> pulled disconnect the roll and pitch linkages between the two yokes.
> There
> is a single line in the manual which states that these can only be
> reset
> on the ground - doesnt tell you HOW of course!

You could have just asked about that. I don't know a ton about the
Jetstream, but that's one thing I do know. The disconnects are there so that
if something jams one yoke the other can be unlocked from it to regain
control. My dad flew Jetstreams years ago when he first started with Eastern
Metro Express in the 80's, then later when he moved to the left seat. He got
back to the Dash-8 as fast as humanly possible ;)

And just so people will call me a bastard I'll throw this in. One of the
perks of being a professional pilot's son is knowing the other pilots.
Before the world went to shit I used to fly the jumpseat in Dash-8's fairly
regularly. The least comfortable seat on the plane, but one of the best
views. One time the FA just yanked the cockpit door open with no warning
while I was up there. For those of you that don't know, the jumpseat folds
down in the doorway and the door is the back of the seat. I fell back and
wound up getting quite a different view from the floor under her ;)

The only reason I haven't flown a Jetstream is bad timing. I never had a
chance to fly with a Capt. named Bucky. He said that if I ever managed to
get on the same plane as him he'd tell the FO to go take a nap and let me
fly for a bit. Highly illegal, but it's not like I didn't know what I was
doing ;)
--
Steve
95 Buell S2 Thunderbolt