[simpits-tech] Jetstream Update

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:22:30 +0100 (BST)

I spent most of saturday down at the jetstream, the idea being to a) get a
better idea of how to physically set up the flight sim, and b) take a look
at the problem of the yokes not working in tandem.

a) was fairly easy, there's a handy cupboard just behind the flight-deck
which is big enough for about 6 PC's and one monitor. (anyone got a spare
KVM? ;)

b) The yokes were operating independently, and making funny noises too.
I pulled up the floor areas around the yoke bases and found a maze of
cables, rods, pulleys and all manner of beautifully manufactured hardware.

Not seeing an obvious reason why the yokes didn't 'see' each other, I
remembered that we had a plethora of manuals for this aircraft. I spent
half an hour browsing and found a section which dealt with the flight
controls.

For some reason known only to BAe, there are two levers which - when
pulled disconnect the roll and pitch linkages between the two yokes. There
is a single line in the manual which states that these can only be reset
on the ground - doesnt tell you HOW of course!

A bit more digging revealed nice diagrams of the systems and I spotted a
pawl which would drop into place and lock the disconnect levers. Now I
found out why it can only be reset on the ground - you have to dismantle
half the centre console to get at the pawls so that you can disengage
them. Argh!  With the pawls disengaged, both yokes now operate perfectly
in tandem - we're ready to mount pots now!  I think I'll disconnect these
cables next weekend, some twit is _bound_ to yank on these levers.

Apparently an ex J41 pilot has joined the project, whilse he now flies an
Embraer he loves the 41. I'm looking forward to meeting him, I have so
many questions ;)  He'll be good to verify my glass cockpit software is
correct too.

What a wonderful project this is. Happy helpful people, enthusiastic as
hell, we get free coffee and food from the hotel's staff canteen and being
right next to the new airport runway there's a constant stream of aircraft
buzzing about. Nirvana!

I'm tempted to shelve my helopit project and use what goodies I've
accumulated for that in the Jetstream instead. The one downside with the
Jetstream is a lack of funds, I'd *kill* for a few phidgets for it.

</share>

Roy.