[simpits-tech] Multi-Display Help

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:39:07 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Sean Galbraith wrote:

> >Whats the best way to run multiple video outputs if 1 per PC is too
> >expensive?  I'm looking at needing at leat 4 visual channels plus maybe 5
> >glass displays which is waaaay too heavy on the PC requirements!
>
> Umm, ouch!
>
> For the out the window stuff you are in a real bind... only way to do
> multiple accelerated views is the Parhelia (spelt *something* like that...)
> card which will drive 3 accelerated views, which will leave one more to
> drive, and I think you will have to go the wideview route for that
> (assuming MSFS?)

I _think_ this will be x-plane, though it could easily swing the MSFS
route. WideFS is of course the route of choice for visuals.

> For the 5 glass, that is a little easier, but depends alot on what software
> will be driving the displays.  If you can use non-accelerated 2d stuff then
> it'll be easy enough to bung a bunch of PCI cards in one machine and you
> can just define where you want the displays, and drag stuff onto any of them.
>
> That's kinda what I will do to run the cockpit displays in the A-4, 2 cards
> in an old Pentium 200 running two smallish VGA screens.

The software is only part-written and will need to emulate the honeywell
displays found in the jetstream. That'll work happily with both MSFS and
X-Plane so I'm not worried about that. The big problem is cost, there
won't be as much money as I'd hoped for this project even though it only
took me 30 mins to get some PC sponsorship.

Roy.