[simpits-tech] F-16 MFD bezels...and Square displays

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:36:40 -0700 (PDT)

> Sometimes the ideas/process behind these companies is straightforward. Its
> sounds like, after a brief scan of their literature, that maybe the design
> of AMLCDs lends itself to a simple straightforward solution.

I think what the eventual solution will be is scavenged LCD displays from
consumer electronics and MFD/MPD bezels purpose-built for the home
simulator market.

In some applications you would be better served using a 5" Monochrome VGA
display.  These run about $350 each from CSI.  Believe it or not, that's
actually a good price.  The manufacturer doesn't build these to stock.
This means that the end-product doesn't even exist until an order is
placed.  This results in insane prices for low quantity purchases.

This is one of the main reasons that COTS is becoming so popular within
the aviation and simulation arenas.  COTS (Commercial, Off the Shelf)
parts _are_ made to stock, so low quantity purchases are not prohibitively
priced.

I guess that if we want this stuff to be affordable for John Q.
Simbuilder and the rest of us, we'll have to literally build the industry
ourselves.  People like Peter Cos, the guy behind Flightdeck Solutions, is
doing exactly that.  He's got a great line of edge-lightable panels aimed
squarely at the hobby market.

Ralph Robinson and Chester Fitchett are doing the same thing.  Ralph has
the high-end market with EPIC and Chester covers the rest with Phidgets.
This isn't commentary on product quality - I have both EPIC (2 actually)
and Phidgets.  The quality of both is outstanding.  Chester wins on price
simply because he makes the end user think harder. :)

Marv started out building a method of using a Cougar stick grip with force
sensors like the real F-16, and now he'll probably get a contract to build
'em for the AF.  He also builds round steam gauges that are so good your
knees wobble. :)

Others on this list are doing equally cool stuff.

There must come a point where you have to sacrifice accuracy for price.
We all want the best we can get, but we settle for what we can afford.
There's just no way around that.  4:3 aspect ratio displays are the ones
that are produced on a massive scale.  Because of that, the prices are
reasonable and that's what we'll end up using.

Remember, the key  to this is *theatre*.  Robbi pounded this firmly into
my skull a long time ago.  If I can make you think it's real, who cares if
it really is?

g.