[simpits-tech] Airpower 03

Albert simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 21:23:05 +1000

When Joe and myself went to Avalon airshow in Melbourne this year Feb. I
travelled down from Sydney. Told my work I have a "Bi annual design
conference" that I cant miss (so they had to give me the days off :) and
rocked up on the trade day with a letter + business card saying why i should
be there... as an exhibition and event designer :) Public days simply way
too pack. The first day when i got to Avalon, no one was there! I walked up
the the F16 pacific airforce demostration team area. Asked one of the
security to fetch a guy who I got hooked up with via another crew chief that
I fly online with...next thing I know. He asked me "So you want a tour?" My
knees suddenly felt week... and I spend about 3 hours inside the parking
space, climbing up the cockpit. Asking as much questions as I can think
of... trying not to sound like an idiot (Oh what's that pointy thing do?
LOL) and video camera the conversation the crew chief had with me.

Really want to share that footage, got it on VHS, but havent got a way to
capture it onto the computer. its about 25 minutes long. The only shame was
they didnt let me photograph and film the cockpit. There's an extra hour or
so footage filming the startup procedures (The ground show) standing pretty
close to the viper with Joe along side with me.

I tell ya, I was having a really "Hard time" with the side of the Hull on
that laddar. If you know what I mean :) First time I came this close to a
real F16 pit. There's only enough blood in my system to drive one head at a
time hehe.

Bullshiting to your work and at the airshow to get into the trade days
before the public... Priceless. Anything else... there's master card :)

Cheers,

Al
Sydney, Oz