[simpits-tech] Using real instruments

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:30:32 -0500

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the Link Trainer tip.  I'll be looking into it.

I think I understand the theoretical workings of the Altimeter.
http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/PSI.htm

The pressure vs. altitude is found here:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wstdatmo.htm

I could use a vacuum pump that pulls a 27 in Hg vacuum controlled by
proportional
vacuum regulator to actuate the altimeter. But, that equipment is expensive
and not found often on eBay. :)

I want to modify the altimeter to operate from pressure using a rig I
already have working.  I have a servo driving a pressure regulator (phidget
style).  I have a little program (not mine) that runs in the background that
accepts data
from Falcon4 that drives the servo position.  I'm using it to output a 0-6
psi pressure to a G-suit for G-force cueing.  It should be fairly easy to
use the elevation data to drive the Altimeter regulator.

I've completed the mods to the Altimeter and it works well.  Details to
follow.

Craig R.