[simpits-tech] Teaser pics...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:13:45 -0800 (PST)

> >This new effort uses a 9' x 8' screen frame made of 2x4 and 6 "L" brackets
> >per corner for strength.  The screen material is a queen sized flat sheet,
> >made of 230 thread per inch fabric.  I hope to be able to test this on
> >Saturday night.
>
> i am REALLLLLY interested in your outcome on this. i'm also curious about
> the nature of the "hot spot" of an overhead projector (versus LCD/DLP
> projectors), since a fresnel is involved in the light path of the overhead
> version. if i read the propaganda for "real" rear-projection screens, one
> side of the screen contains a fresnel element.

There is a hot spot. There's nothing to be done about that however.  At
least not with the kind of money I can afford to spend. ;)

> >BTW, the projectoion system consists of a second hand 800x600 LCD
> >projection panel sitting atop a 4000 Lumen 3M Overhead Projector.  If
> >you're going to do rear projection this way, 4000 Lumen is pretty much the
> >minimum if you want good daylight scenes.
>
> i wonder where they measure the 4000 lumens, since i've read that a huge
> amount of light ends up not getting to the screen. a 4000 lumen DLP/LCD
> projector could be overkill, given identical circumstances. i have built
> cardboard "shutters" to close off the windows in the sim area to give me
> better control over the light. stray light from the projector serves to
> illuminate the cockpit pretty well.

I don't know.  Probably at the deck of the OHP.  If I think about it, I'll
set up some cardboard "blinds" on the OHP when we test to see how it
changes the lighting quality.

> of course this changes when i move to rear-projection - the cockpit should
> get a lot darker.

That's the idea.  The *only* light you want coming into the cockpit is
that coming from the projection screens.

> to repeat myself, i will be watching your results with bedsheet rear
> projection very closesly

When I test I'll take pics.

g.