[simpits-tech] Teaser pics...

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:45:40 -0500

--=====================_1456461==_.ALT

Hi, Gene.

mine mixed with yours.

At 02:46 PM 1/23/03 -0800, you wrote:

> > Looks cool, Gene.  Are you rear projecting on the screen?
> >

>This new effort uses a 9' x 8' screen frame made of 2x4 and 6 "L" brackets
>per corner for strength.  The screen material is a queen sized flat sheet,
>made of 230 thread per inch fabric.  I hope to be able to test this on
>Saturday night.

i am REALLLLLY interested in your outcome on this. i'm also curious about
the nature of the "hot spot" of an overhead projector (versus LCD/DLP
projectors), since a fresnel is involved in the light path of the overhead
version. if i read the propaganda for "real" rear-projection screens, one
side of the screen contains a fresnel element.

>This screen will be positioned at the end of the nose instead of right in
>front of the windscreen like #2 was.  The hope is that the larger view
>will provide a more realistic view.
>
>BTW, the projectoion system consists of a second hand 800x600 LCD
>projection panel sitting atop a 4000 Lumen 3M Overhead Projector.  If
>you're going to do rear projection this way, 4000 Lumen is pretty much the
>minimum if you want good daylight scenes.

i wonder where they measure the 4000 lumens, since i've read that a huge
amount of light ends up not getting to the screen. a 4000 lumen DLP/LCD
projector could be overkill, given identical circumstances. i have built
cardboard "shutters" to close off the windows in the sim area to give me
better control over the light. stray light from the projector serves to
illuminate the cockpit pretty well.

of course this changes when i move to rear-projection - the cockpit should
get a lot darker.

to repeat myself, i will be watching your results with bedsheet rear
projection very closesly

thanks,

  - adm -

----------

Alan D. Mazurka                    Webspace Design & Implementation
adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_1456461==_.ALT

Hi, Gene.<br><br>
mine mixed with yours.<br><br>
At 02:46 PM 1/23/03 -0800, you wrote:<br><br>
you rear projecting on the screen?<br>
&gt;<br><br>
This new effort uses a 9' x 8' screen frame made of 2x4 and 6
&quot;L&quot; brackets<br>
per corner for strength.&nbsp; The screen material is a queen sized flat
sheet,<br>
made of 230 thread per inch fabric.&nbsp; I hope to be able to test this
on<br>
Saturday night.<br>
i am REALLLLLY interested in your outcome on this. i'm also curious about
the nature of the &quot;hot spot&quot; of an overhead projector (versus
LCD/DLP projectors), since a fresnel is involved in the light path of the
overhead version. if i read the propaganda for &quot;real&quot;
rear-projection screens, one side of the screen contains a fresnel
element.<br><br>
the end of the nose instead of right in<br>
front of the windscreen like #2 was.&nbsp; The hope is that the larger
view<br>
will provide a more realistic view.<br><br>
BTW, the projectoion system consists of a second hand 800x600 LCD<br>
projection panel sitting atop a 4000 Lumen 3M Overhead Projector.&nbsp;
If<br>
you're going to do rear projection this way, 4000 Lumen is pretty much
the<br>
minimum if you want good daylight scenes.<br>
i wonder where they measure the 4000 lumens, since i've read that a huge
amount of light ends up <i>not</i> getting to the screen. a 4000 lumen
DLP/LCD projector could be overkill, given identical circumstances. i
have built cardboard &quot;shutters&quot; to close off the windows in the
sim area to give me better control over the light. stray light from the
projector serves to illuminate the cockpit pretty well.<br><br>
of course this changes when i move to rear-projection - the cockpit
should get a lot darker.<br><br>
to repeat myself, i will be watching your results with bedsheet rear
projection very closesly<br><br>
thanks,<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm - <br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<hr>
Alan D.
Mazurka&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Webspace Design &amp; Implementation<br>
adm.design@verizon.net&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>