[simpits-tech] Force Feedback

Akin, Keenan L simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:37:31 -0600

Sounds interesting.  I need to pick up an old FF stick on eBay and do some experimenting...

Keenan

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Bailey [mailto:mattb@rtccom.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 4:24 PM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Force Feedback

As usual, I have ideas but no actual working projects. :)

My particular joystick, the MS Sidewinder FF Pro (the old one), simply uses
two motors to actuate the stick. Frankly I've never flown a PC flight sim
that has convincing enough FF effects to warrant making a special FF sim
control, but I had considered the possibility of removing the motors from the
case and mounting them in a steering wheel box for racing sims. Because the
motors are non-positional (not like servos) they should keep turning
indefinitely until the stick position or something in the sim is changed. I
figure they could be linked via pulleys or gears and made so that a lot of
motor rotation only moves the steering wheel a bit, thus increasing the
torque the motors have on the wheel.

	-Matt Bailey