[simpits-tech] Sean - Swinging Panels

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:12:06 +0000

Hey Sean (any anyone else interested in the techniques required to build
sims for the cool stuff ;),

I'm not sure how the panels on the Apollo are layed out, but I figured if
you were interested in the "roll-top" idea, it goes hand-in-hand with this
one: fold-back panels.

Basically, even when the whole side of the capsule is rolled back, there are
still panels that are going to be in the way - remember, entering through
the hatch you're actually coming through the "top," where the panels arent
in the way. But in this setup you're coming from the side, so you're panels
might be obstructing entry. As I said, I'm not sure how the Apollo is layed
out exactly, but this is how I'm going about it:

http://www.me.mtu.edu/~bjsikkem/Panels.jpg

The two panels marked in red will either be on a track and slide forward, or
be hinged and fold forward, to allow easy entry. They have plenty of room to
swing around with the side of the capsule gone, so you just have to pull
them into position again before you shut the door. Another idea I came
across tonight that I rather liked, and figured I'd pass along. :)

Oh, and I took a look at the figures, and I figure this whole sim setup,
operators station included, will be roughly 7' cubed. Not too shabby! ;)

Brian

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup