[simpits-tech] Another cool sim idea

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:56:08 -0500

Neutral buoyancy tank --> 0 g (sort of)

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Matt Bailey
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 8:34 PM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Another cool sim idea

Interesting, I've seen their two Mars sims (at the museum next to the
boneyard in Tucson AZ).

Actually I was thinking about the spaceflight sims, and I got to thinking
about an EVA sim with possibly motion. Have you considered setting up a sort
of space suit (or at least a helmet) with something like monitor and
fresnel,
or VR glasses, and equip it with a jetpack type control system? If you
wanted
to get real fancy, you could install it in free rotating gimbals to provide
complete freedom of motion. Even though you would not be able to simulate
the
zero g of space, perhaps orienting the unit with simulated earth would
provide a better sense of being in space than just being at 1+ g all the
time........then throw in the forces for acceleration. Just having to move a
person with little sim equipment would decrease cost. Plus it would make a
mean Descent sim. :)

	-Matt Bailey