[simpits-tech] Motion...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:24:41 -0800 (PST)

> Think about this for a minute (granted I realize this is probably overly
> simplistic and the math is infinitely more complex):  Most software out
> there has the 4 axis of data (not to be confused with the axis of evil)
> one might need for motion.  Couldn't one just write some software to
> read this data and translate that to motion?  The data to which I refer
> is (1) pitch and (2) roll  (X and Y axis); via your artificial horizon
> instrument.  (3) Yaw (Z axis), via your compass and (4) altitude via the
> altimeter.
>
> Jay

...and the mis-matched motion cues will have you spewing all over your
instrument panel.  It's an illness called Simulator Sickness and it's
nasty as hell.

You need to base the motion platform off of moments of inertial and
acceleration, not stock positional data.  You also have to do special
things to simulate certain effects such as deceleration.  In that
instance, the view would "dip" a bit as you hit the brakes, but the
simulator cab should take a 45* down angle or so to simulate the slowdown.
The opposite happens during acceleration.  It's a very complex system - it
takes a lot to properly fool your inner ear simultaneously with your eyes.
Anything else and it's technicolor yawn time. :)

g.