[simpits-tech] Using real instruments

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:04:09 -0500

I remember talking about using an air compressor to control real gauges
several months ago. Sounds like a GREAT idea to me, a little more complex
than just using servos but the extra realism in gauge movement would probably
be worth it. Not to mention the utter coolness of being able to drop a REAL,
UNMODIFIED instrument directly into your sim. The instruments themselves are
pricey though, unless you found an old junk instrument but that would defeat
the purpose of making your sim accept real instruments since the instrument
would not work. :)

Driving gyro instruments like the turn coordinator I suppose could be done
with servos driving the gyro cages (although the ball is just a ball in a
glass tube, it's not driven by any mechanical device in real life so it would
probably have to be totally reworked) or just removing the gyros completely
and hooking a servo directly to the small aircraft representation. Anyone
done this?

	-Matt Bailey