[simpits-tech] May the Force Feedback be with you...

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 01:34:35 -0500

Well, venting the air as you move the stick will not only change stick
pressure at a given control surface loading and stick position, it will
change the centering of the stick. I'd say seal off the chambers. You don't
really get a drifting center in real planes, just a constant amount of force
required for a given control surface loading and control position.

My idea is to have sealed chambers for the air, just adjust the air pressure
with airspeed, rather than bleeding air off as you move the stick. So, if you
were flying at a given airspeed and had half up-elevator, you would have to
hold one, constant force to keep the stick at that position. If you slowed
down, a regulator would reduce the air pressure in both chambers, hence less
force required to hold that half up-elevator. As you released the stick,
force would naturally be less as the stick neared center.

I figured for elevator trim you could simply move the air cylinder assembly
forward/aft.

	-Matt Bailey