[simpits-tech] Pneumatic thoughts again...

Akin, Keenan L simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:16:33 -0600

The air load cylinder (on the left) essentially only regulates the venting of the left half of the cylinder.  As airspeed increases, the valve restricts venting and makes it harder to push the stick.  As airspeed decreases, the valves opens, allowing air to more freely pass in and out of the cylinder.  The right hand vent prevents pressure/vacuum in the right half of the cylinder.

The trim cylinder imparts load to the stick in relation to stick position versus trim point.  To trim a real aircraft to relieve stick load, you rotate the trim wheel until the stick load is gone.  In this case, rotating the trim wheel increases or decreases the pressure on the left side of the cylinder, moving the stick into the desired trim position.

There may be an easier way of doing this (which is why I am soliciting comments).  Ken, is this more along the lines of what you were thinking or I am I still screwed up?

Keenan

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Buckle [mailto:geneb@deltasoft.com]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 1:08 PM
To: SIMPITS
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Pneumatic thoughts again...

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Akin, Keenan L wrote:

> Okay, after rethinking Ken's inputs, I have designed a new concept for
> applying pneumatic feedback to the stick.  This diagram shows one
> cylinder used to impart aero load forces to the stick in proportion to
> airspeed.  The other cylinder is used to unload the stick to a desired
> trim point via a trim wheel controlled pressure regulator.  Does this
> make any sense or am I up and locked?

Hehe.  "up and locked"... I like that. :)

>From the diagram, I can't tell how you're balancing the force.  It looks
like you're applying "air-load" to only one direction of the travel axis.

Have you looked at building a DC motor based solution?  The idea would be
that the motors would be trying to drive the stick to "Center" based upon
a dupe set of potentiometer inputs.  As air-load increases, you'd
increase the power to the motors.  You'd built a circuit to flip the motor
input polarity when you cross the center points so that the motor would be
correctly "pulling" no matter where the stick was.