[simpits-tech] Pneumatic thoughts again...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:07:34 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Akin, Keenan L wrote:

> Okay, after rethinking Ken's inputs, I have designed a new concept for
> applying pneumatic feedback to the stick.  This diagram shows one
> cylinder used to impart aero load forces to the stick in proportion to
> airspeed.  The other cylinder is used to unload the stick to a desired
> trim point via a trim wheel controlled pressure regulator.  Does this
> make any sense or am I up and locked?

Hehe.  "up and locked"... I like that. :)

>From the diagram, I can't tell how you're balancing the force.  It looks
like you're applying "air-load" to only one direction of the travel axis.

Have you looked at building a DC motor based solution?  The idea would be
that the motors would be trying to drive the stick to "Center" based upon
a dupe set of potentiometer inputs.  As air-load increases, you'd
increase the power to the motors.  You'd built a circuit to flip the motor
input polarity when you cross the center points so that the motor would be
correctly "pulling" no matter where the stick was.

g.