[simpits-tech] Radeon vs. GeForce

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Wed Dec 17 05:09:18 PST 2003

Ido Dekkers wrote:
> you're welcome,
>
> Just remember that the ATI 9600 compares to the GeForce 5600 and not
> the 5200.
> and not only that - the 9600 and up support DX9 in hardware, the
> Nvidia
> chips support DX9 only in driver ( The 5200 doesn't at all).
>
> ATI rocks

Yes, they do :)

I was comparing them in price, mainly. The 5200 was $100, the 9600 was $130,
and I might wind up with a 9800 Pro in a couple of weeks :) What's that
compare to? A 5950? I was almost suprised that the nForce2 didn't barf all
over the place when I stuck in the ATI, though.

There are only 3 problems, all solved with varying degrees of ease. 1- DVI
port instead of a 2nd VGA. $5 for an adapter. 2- S Video instead of
composite. $5 for an adapter. 3- Lack of a fan on the heatsink. My office
tends to be fairly hot in the summer, so it might be a good thing to put a
better cooler on there. Hmm... maybe I'll machine a long copper bar with
grooves lengthwise, close off the top with a solid plate drilled and milled
to take a fan at each end, 1 to suck, the other to blow. At the very least
it would be a fun project :)

Then I'll watercool my old machine (now my wife's machine). It has 7 very
loud fans that are keeping the birds awake at night. Tired parrots are
pissed, evil, revenge-plotting parrots ;)
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net