[simpits-tech] FlightGear and Hardware

Al West mail at prbox.com
Tue Dec 16 00:39:14 PST 2003

Thanks Marv,

> Can't really help you with the Flightgear stuff, but I am
> impressed with your PIC ideas.
>
> I am curious about the digital I/O.  How many channels in and
> how many out? I would assume you can strobe it as a
> row/column for switch inputs?

Well I was first thinking I'd keep things nice and simply so all a user has
to do is select a pin and then bring it down to ground when he closes the
switch.  There are many ways one could employ to get more than 10
inputs/outputs out of 10 pins.  At the moment I could have any of the pins
as inputs or outputs but I guess my first version would just have inputs.  I
was thinking that from an installation point having one controller per panel
would make things easier.  What I am mainly interested in is how to manage
more than one of these things in software on the PC.

> Marv
>

> On 12/12/03 8:30 PM, "Al West" <mail at prbox.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm new here to the list so first of all a Big Hello from the UK.
> >
> > I'm running flightgear and want to start building generic hardware
> > using PIC chips and USB interface. However, I'm not too sure how
> > flightgear interface with hardware. i.e. what is envolved
> in getting a
> > button press to action something like flaps down or such like.
> >
> > The design I've come up with gives 8 analogue inputs (10 bit
> > resolution) and 20 digital inputs/outputs. I intend to make
> the design
> > so you can have a number of these units connected at the same time.
> >
> > However, I have not done anything with USB yet and don't know if
> > common USB HID drivers for the OS will be enough. If there
> is anyone
> > out there who will be willing to speak to me with regards
> to this then
> > I'd be very grateful.
> >
> > On another note has anyone considered using touchscreen
> LCDs for their
> > glass cockpit design. There are plenty of them about for about £140
> > ($200) on Ebay. They are 1024x768 with a USB interface and regular
> > 15-pin DIN connection for video and they will also accept
> A/V inputs.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Al
> >
> > ---