[simpits-tech] FlightGear and Hardware

Da Shizznit shizznit at ihug.com.au
Mon Dec 15 13:45:16 PST 2003

Good to see another Al on the forum :)

Welcome!

Al
Sydney, Oz
P.S. I hate Johnny Wilkinson!!!!!!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al West" <mail at prbox.com>
To: "'Simulator Cockpit tech list'" <simpits-tech at simpits.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 12:30 PM
Subject: [simpits-tech] FlightGear and Hardware

Hi,
I'm new here to the list so first of all a Big Hello from the UK.

I'm running flightgear and want to start building generic hardware using PIC
chips and USB interface. However, I'm not too sure how flightgear interface
with hardware. i.e. what is envolved in getting a button press to action
something like flaps down or such like.

The design I've come up with gives 8 analogue inputs (10 bit resolution) and
20 digital inputs/outputs. I intend to make the design so you can have a
number of these units connected at the same time.

However, I have not done anything with USB yet and don't know if common USB
HID drivers for the OS will be enough.
If there is anyone out there who will be willing to speak to me with regards
to this then I'd be very grateful.

On another note has anyone considered using touchscreen LCDs for their glass
cockpit design. There are plenty of them about for about £140 ($200) on
Ebay. They are 1024x768 with a USB interface and regular 15-pin DIN
connection for video and they will also accept A/V inputs.

Best Regards,
Al