[simpits-tech] HUD

Joseph Fagner falcon4 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 23:19:58 PST 2003

Cedric..

I seek especially the construction of the system of returns image with the
screen CRT.

Thank you.

Rob..

The method you have chosen is perhaps the most difficult and expensive
method to accomplish. I hope you have a reasonable grasp of optical systems.
The basic system is as follows a CRT directed towards a beam splitter or
prism defracting the image through a lens to a flat optical glass. The glass
may need to have an optical coating to make the image visible.

A simpler method of accomplishing this task would be to use a projector
aimed at a mirror directed to a combining glass. Again the glass may best be
used if an optical coating is used.

The data portion from Falcon IV I really have no knowledge of. Perhaps
magenta maybe used I really do not know. I am not familiar enough with
Falcon IV, check with other list members on this issue.

I don't know if this answers your questions or not, feel free to ask more
questions as you progress on your project.

At this time, the HUD data cannot be extracted from Falcon 4.  It seems like
it may be in the works as there seems to be interest on the part of the
coders of OIR and at BMS to extract this and MFD data (along with other
things) for cockpit builders.

Jay