[simpits-tech] Hacking a CH Products USB Yoke

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 07:49:14 -0400

John,

There are two ways that I've seen game controllers use pots:

1. Pot used as a variable resister to control current.  This is how the game port works.  This only
requires 2 wire connection.

2. Pot used as a "voltage divider".  The USB controller chips in a lot of newer sticks use this
method as the controller is looking for a 0-5VDC input. This requires 3 wire connection.

DISCLAIMER: not an electronics expert.

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of John Miguez
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 8:19 AM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: [simpits-tech] Hacking a CH Products USB Yoke

I am in the process of hacking a CH Products USB Yoke.  I found out that you
can run nine axes and 28 buttons though the USB PCB.

At the moment I am trying to run the throttle of a Suncom throttle/joystick
combo through the CH Products USB.  Here is my problem.

They use 50K ohm pots for the throttle, mixture, prop.   The Suncom uses a
special 100K ohm pot.  I calculated that around a 80K resistor in parallel
should make the pot a 50K pot.  I can get a test pot/resistor to work on the
volt-ohm meter but not in MS game controller setup routine, when running
through the CH Products yoke.

Any ideas?

John