[simpits-tech] Dual Differential Toe Brakes.. How? (I'm stuck!)

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:46:33 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, here you go...

http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/lame_drawing.JPG

First - picture in your head a length of plastic pipe that's been fixed to
a board with "U" clamps.  They're tight enough to keep the pipe from
shifting, but not so tight that the pipe cannot rotate.

Now take a pair of metal "L" brackets and affix them an equal distance
from each other, measuring from the center of the pipe.  You'd end up with
something like so:

"L" #1   V
         |    |<------ "L" bracket #2
         |    |
    -----+----+-----
    |              |
    ----------------

Now, what you're going to do is hook 2 brake pushrods to each of the L
brackets.  One pair of left on one side and one pair of right on the
other.

Look at the graphic diagram - the pair of pushrods on the left go to the
left rudder pedal on the Capt. and the FO side.

The key to this whole mess is shown in figure #4.  The gray squiggle
represents a small compressing spring - I screwed up this part of the
drawing.  The whole spring should be to the right of the red circle.  The
red circle represents a Du-Bro pushrod mount - if you don't know what I
mean, I can find a picture of it.  The green blocks represent music wire
collars - similar to what you'd use to keep a wheel on a music wire
landing gear.

How this works is this - you press on a pedal and the collar pushes
against the Du-Bro fitting, which in turn rotates the pipe and moves the
pot via the pushrod labeled #3.

Now here is where the spring comes into play - on the pedal that ISN'T
moving, the spring will compress and not try to drag the pedal along with
it.

You'd make two of these pipe assemblies.  One for the left brake and one
for the right.  The size doesn't really matter as long as you have enough
room to mount the components.

The #1 figure is the two left brake pushrods and #2 of course represents
the pipe/L bracket assembly.

Does this make sense?

g.