[simpits-tech] Simkits

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:11:35 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Matt Bailey wrote:

> 	Impressive! I just thought of something though...........I want a flight
> director. :) And an HSI.......and I'd be flying all sorts of planes with
> greatly varying speed ranges. Hmmm, what might work would be for me to use a
> monitor to display the airspeed, AI, turn coordinator, and HSI, then use
> Simkits for altimeter, VSI, OBS (their VOR indicators look really nice, from
> the pics), ADF, RMI (by slightly modifying an ADF kit), and maybe some engine
> stuff.

An HSI would be a great addition to the simkits product range. a FD would
be an absolute sod though!

> 	Hmmm, I was thinking just gutting the instruments and just using the visual
> stuff. Patience I have, tooling I don't. :)

You still need some way to link the needle(s) shaft to a servo or stepper
motor and having looked at a few instruments - I wouldn't try.

> 	Btw, how hard was it to get this stuff working with Phidgets? Are you using
> just an X-Plane plug-in, or is there other software?

I knocked up a test program in Delphi which reads UDP data from x-plane,
does a little math for scaling etc and then drives the phidget servo
board. Really REALLY simple.

Roy.