[simpits-tech] Simkits

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:27:29 -0500

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 09:57 am, you wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Matt Bailey wrote:
> > I was looking at the Simkits stuff on Roy's helo page and was wondering
> > if the geared mechanism caused any noticeable "notchiness" in the
> > animation of the instruments? I've noticed even on an FAA-approved Frasca
> > 141 ground trainer, the instruments at times are quite notchy, just
> > wondering if the Simkits suffer the same problem.
>
> Nope, they seem smooth enough. Even my home-brewed (and geared 2:1) gauges
> are smooth enough.

	Cool.

> > Also, how convincing do the instruments look? Judging from pics it's hard
> > to tell.
>
> They're not bad at all, in fact the AI is almost identical the those
> fitted in the Robinson helo's. So similar in fact that this was the first
> thing I thought when looking at the robinson panel!

	Impressive! I just thought of something though...........I want a flight
director. :) And an HSI.......and I'd be flying all sorts of planes with
greatly varying speed ranges. Hmmm, what might work would be for me to use a
monitor to display the airspeed, AI, turn coordinator, and HSI, then use
Simkits for altimeter, VSI, OBS (their VOR indicators look really nice, from
the pics), ADF, RMI (by slightly modifying an ADF kit), and maybe some engine
stuff.

> > *If* you could get your hands on some junk instruments from a real plane,
> > how hard might it be to rip out stuff like faceplates etc and use on
> > Simkits? Are the basic dimensions and everything the same as real
> > instruments?
>
> Its hard. Most real instruments are a bastard to work with. If you've the
> patience and tooling I'm sure it could be done. I've looked at a few now
> and decided its too hard.

	Hmmm, I was thinking just gutting the instruments and just using the visual
stuff. Patience I have, tooling I don't. :)

> > I'd originally thought that making instruments from scratch would be the
> > way for me to go but it looks like Simkits have a lot of the mechanical
> > hurdles worked out (that AI looks pretty nifty).
>
> Yup, and pretty good value for money too.
>
> > This is more curiousity than serious consideration........due to lack of
> > funds and space I'm still solidly in the planning and "where do I want to
> > go with this thing" phase. :/ Oh well, gives me plenty of time to figure
> > out just how I want to go about this, I guess. :)
>
> The golden rules with the simits stuff are:
>
> 1. Read the instructions.
> 2. Read the instructions again.
> 3. Do a 'dry' build.
> 4. Build slowly and carefully, VERY carefully.
> 5. Gloat.
>
> Roy.

	Heh ok, thanks for the info. I'm still toying with the idea of a working
pressure system and using a real altimeter and VSI, but I suspect the expense
and complexity would not be worth it. I'm not even sure it would improve
accuracy of the instrument's animation that much........I suspect the
characteristic "wobble" of the altimeter hundreds needle is caused by
turbulence around the static ports, and lag could be handled in the
programming.
	Btw, how hard was it to get this stuff working with Phidgets? Are you using
just an X-Plane plug-in, or is there other software?

	-Matt Bailey

P.S. Ooooh looky...if only I could get network stuff working in WINE.....
http://servomaster.sourceforge.net/docs/USB_Phidget4.html