[simpits-tech] Hearing voices...

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 14:16:45 -0400

--=====================_1031015==_.ALT

hi, Keenan.

my experience with voice control involves the incredibly cheap ones.

i use(d) microsoft's voice commander with ProPilot for a verrrry nice
simulation of air traffic control. the low-cost solutions only learn 25 or
so phrases needed to get the job done - instead of learning every word in
the english language.

it works pretty well, for something so incredibly cheap. you have to make
your phrases unique enough so the device does not confuse commands. you
can't talk out loud (unless you mute the mike), and it will try to match
non-words to its list of phrases, so a simple exhale into the mike could
result in a "voice command".

it should do a pretty good job of orchestrating your wingmen, assuming you
can keep your exclamations to yourself AND keep ambient sounds from being
interpreted (which is why they usually give you a headset). i am toying
with a simple 12-key keypad attached to a hagstrom card to do what you
describe. it should be more accurate, and be programmed to perform
uniformly across the various simulations i run.

i still use the voice commander for its hardware: speaker/headset
switching, volume to the headset, and a nice mute button that lights up
when pushed. i use the headset for roger wilco-ing with buddies.

  - adm -

At 08:45 PM 4/11/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone tried using voice recognition software for keyboard inputs? I
>was thinking that I could use it for the wingman commands in CFS2 (i.e.,
>saying "Attack!" would send a key signal "a", and so on).
>
>Keenan

>page.  Thanks!

----------

Alan D.
Mazurka
adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_1031015==_.ALT

hi, Keenan.<br><br>
my experience with voice control involves the incredibly cheap
ones.<br><br>
i use(d) microsoft's voice commander with ProPilot for a verrrry nice
simulation of air traffic control. the low-cost solutions only learn 25
or so phrases needed to get the job done - instead of learning every word
in the english language.<br><br>
it works pretty well, for something so incredibly cheap. you have to make
your phrases unique enough so the device does not confuse commands. you
can't talk out loud (unless you mute the mike), and it will try to match
non-words to its list of phrases, so a simple exhale into the mike could
result in a &quot;voice command&quot;.<br><br>
it should do a pretty good job of orchestrating your wingmen, assuming
you can keep your exclamations to yourself AND keep ambient sounds from
being interpreted (which is why they usually give you a headset). i am
toying with a simple 12-key keypad attached to a hagstrom card to do what
you describe. it <i>should</i> be more accurate, and be programmed to
perform uniformly across the various simulations i run.<br><br>
i still use the voice commander for its hardware: speaker/headset
switching, volume to the headset, and a nice mute button that lights up
when pushed. i use the headset for roger wilco-ing with
buddies.<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm -<br><br>
At 08:45 PM 4/11/03 -0500, you wrote:<br>
recognition software for keyboard inputs? I was thinking that I could use
it for the wingman commands in CFS2 (i.e., saying &quot;Attack!&quot;
would send a key signal &quot;a&quot;, and so on).<br><br>
Keenan<br><br>