[simpits-tech] Motion...

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 05 Apr 2003 09:23:33 -0500

--B_3132379413_6011317

Yes, but the resolution will not be.

A long time ago I read about an Air Force simulator that used one projector
for the whole field of view.  The resolution was low and blurry, but they
used a second high resolution projector to sharpen the image where the pilot
looked.

They used head tracking to aim the second projector wherever the pilot
gazed.  That way you get your cake and eat it, too.

Marv

On 4/5/03 3:05 AM, "Ed Henderson" <aircop@comcast.net> wrote:

> Roy, have you seen the new "external load" simulator.  They use a projector
> pointing down at the floor at a slight angle toward the cockpit so when you
> hang your head out the door you can see the load hanging under the helicopter.
> Pretty cool idea.  I am really interested in the "Dome" that uses a single
> projector with a special lens that projects a 120 degree image.  The price of
> the lens has to be cheaper than 2 more projectors.
>
> Ed
> Roy Coates wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Erwin Neyt wrote:
>>

>>> Chris is right,
>>>
>>> motion-simulation = 90% visual + 10% real-motion.
>>>
>>> One very important requirement for the visual system: peripheral coverage,
>>> so at least 120 degrees, more is better.
>>>

>> Difficult to achieve on a simpitters budget. You could surround yourself
>> with monitors but you'd probably microwave your grey matter.
>>
>> I'm using 3 up-front monitors at 30' to each other, plus 2 'chin window'
>> monitors since I'm building a helo pit.
>>
>> Now if I only had an extra 50,000 for this project.....
>>
>> Roy.

>> Thanks!

--B_3132379413_6011317

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [simpits-tech] Motion...</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Yes, but the resolution will not be.<BR>
<BR>
A long time ago I read about an Air Force simulator that used one projector=
 for the whole field of view. &nbsp;The resolution was low and blurry, but t=
hey used a second high resolution projector to sharpen the image where the p=
ilot looked.<BR>
<BR>
They used head tracking to aim the second projector wherever the pilot gaze=
d. &nbsp;That way you get your cake and eat it, too.<BR>
<BR>
Marv<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 4/5/03 3:05 AM, &quot;Ed Henderson&quot; &lt;aircop@comcast.net&gt; wrot=
e:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Roy, have you seen the new &quot;ex=
ternal load&quot; simulator. &nbsp;They use a projector pointing down at the=
 floor at a slight angle toward the cockpit so when you hang your head out t=
he door you can see the load hanging under the helicopter. &nbsp;Pretty cool=
 idea. &nbsp;I am really interested in the &quot;Dome&quot; that uses a sing=
le projector with a special lens that projects a 120 degree image. &nbsp;The=
 price of the lens has to be cheaper than 2 more projectors.<BR>
<BR>
Ed<BR>
Roy Coates wrote:<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Erwin Neyt wrot=
e:<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Chris is right,<BR>
<BR>
motion-simulation =3D 90% visual + 10% real-motion.<BR>
<BR>
One very important requirement for the visual system: peripheral coverage,<=

so at least 120 degrees, more is better.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
Difficult to achieve on a simpitters budget. You could surround yourself<BR=

with monitors but you'd probably microwave your grey matter.<BR>
<BR>
I'm using 3 up-front monitors at 30' to each other, plus 2 'chin window'<BR=

monitors since I'm building a helo pit.<BR>
<BR>
Now if I only had an extra 50,000 for this project.....<BR>
<BR>
Roy.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
. &nbsp;Thanks!<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3132379413_6011317--