[simpits-tech] Motion...

Gordan Sikic simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:50:18 +0200

Hi Criss,

tks for the link!

> I did a couple of hours flying in a full military sim a few years back.
> It was an AirMacchi MB339, using a 3 screen colminated display with a
> fixed (no motion) base. The feedback from the controls, the sounds
> system and the visuals were enough to fool me. I actualy got vertigo
> during a pop-up from ground level to 5000ft and rounding off the top. I
> suddenly had to grab for the canopy bow because I felt like I was about
> to fall over the top as I rounded out and pointed down to the ground
> again. It was a very good lesson about visual being able to fool the
> senses.

[snip]

>>>Flight Simulation" by J.M.Rolfe and K.J. Staples, published by
>>>Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-35751-9

There's very nice example in this book that deals with the similar
problem. In brief (if I recall correctly), passenger aircraft crew made
a mistake while correcting errorneous attitude, after some
irregularities during cruise; mistake that luckily didn't prove fatal.
The problem was that on a simulator, within same conditions, crew acted
correctly. After analysis, it turned out that lack of motion platform
produced completely different feeling in the same flight conditions,
compared to real ones. When the same situation was repeated _with_
motion platform, the reaction at the first instant was the same as in
the real flight.

(I have only now read your message, and I'm answering immediately,
without taking a peek into the book. I'll check the correctness of story :)

ciao,

Gordan