[simpits-tech] Control Forces.

Gordan Sikic simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:22:25 +0200

Hello Brian,

Friday, September 27, 2002, 21:50:51, you wrote:

BW> Hi,  I've got a couple of questions I would like to ask John P. Miguez and Ben Jones.
BW> On F4s and other fighters of that time, do the control forces increase with air speed? Also what degree of feedback do you get on the stick from buffeting etc.
BW> Thanks,    Brian West.

I do not know about F4 (I suppose you mean phantom II), but
generally speaking, if the controls directly linked to control
surfaces, you have reversible commands. In that case, you feel
aerodinamic force on the stick, and the force varies with
flight conditions. In contrary, if you have some kind of
actuators (I suppose those vere hydraulic on F4), you do not
feel aerodynamic force, but some kind of artificially
generated force. In that case my bet would be to find diagrams
showing force on the stick as a function of stick deflection
(and possibly stick speed), speed and height of the flight.

On the other hand, (I stand to be corrected) given the
flight envelope of F4, I'm quite sure you are dealing with
ireversible commands.

--
Best regards,
 Gordan                            mailto:gordan.s@mail.inet.hr