[simpits-tech] Control Forces.

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:32:49 -0400

I'll chime in.  As airspeed increases, the net force on the control surfaces
also increases.  Try driving down the road slowly with your hand out the
window with the palm facing down, but the fingers elevated 20 degrees.

Now speed up to 60 mph and hold the same position , if you can.

The stick, or grip as I prefer to call it, has no force feedback at all.  It
simply measures forces applied by the pilots hand and translates that into
movement of the control surfaces.

The amount of movement is speed dependent.  An F-16 driver put it this way,
pulling back on the grip will yield about 3 Gs of climb for every 5 lbs.
applied to the grip.  So, 10 lbs. would yield something like 6 G.  That
means the control surfaces move as a function of both airspeed and force
applied to the grip.