[simpits-tech] Landing the Viper

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 01:14:18 -0500

Inventmd@aol.com wrote:

> I seem to remember a web page that is devoted to landing a Viper that made
> landing a breeze.
> Anyone know any URLs??
> I keep an 11 degree angle of attack, 130 kts, 2000lb fuel flow,  and flare at
> the end, gears down, Brake on... only to crash.  AAAAARRRRRRRGH

If it helps your pride any, landing sims is way, way harder than the
real thing. I've flown Cessnas and Beechcrafts (as in the real thing),
full motion sims of the King Air 300 and Saab 340 (at FlightSafety), and
countless PC sims that claim various degrees of fidelity, and the
easiest to land of them all was the '78 model C172N. It's hard to really
figure out what makes it so much easier in the real thing, but what took
a dozen tries with my instructor and a few more solo took me about 100
approaches in X-Plane and I still can't stick the A319 on the numbers
every time. I recommend making a set of checklists and following them
religeously.

Also, if your procedure listed above is right, the reason you're parking
it in a smoking hole is that it helps to drop the gear before you flare
;) Actually, if you're destroying the gear on touchdown, try goosing the
throttle a bit before the mains hit just to slow the decent, then hold
the nose off until you run out of stick. Stalled wings make great
brakes. More than once I've annoyed my instructor by holding the nose
off on touch and goes ;)
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net