[simpits-tech] Zero point on a two needle altimeter

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 21:47:49 -0400

The device is not for an altimeter, it's for a G-suit regulator.  The
pressure range is 0-5 psi as configured.  I found a table that lists the
barometric pressure vs. altitude:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wstdatmo.htm#us It's about 30-3.4 inHg
0-50,000'.  If you convert that to vacuum at sea level, 50,000' would
require about 27 inHg vacuum.  That's a pretty deep vacuum.  Maybe the
"zero" setting of the instruments could be offset to read, say 50,000' at
ambient pressure and the pressure rig could maintain a positive pressure
above ambient to achieve the same thing.

In PSI this is in the 1.6-14.7 PSI range.  That's pretty easy to do with
stuff off eBay.  I don't know what the "velocity pressure" is on the pitot
tube, I'd guess it's in this same range.

Craig R.