[simpits-tech] Found a way of controlling stepper motors via parallel port

Ben Jones simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:36:21 +0800

Ladies and Gents,

i have contacted a major  supplier of electronic parts and projects in australia, asked them the question "How can i controll stepper motors via my computer" ..... any how a project is avaliable

the project plugs into a parallel port and controlls a ( i think) a 4 wire stepper motor via a circuit board ,
the stepper motor is controlled by a pc programme (BASIC) which is also avaliable , i have read the litreature that they sent to me and it sounds very usable for simpitting !

I rather like these boys beacuse they sent me the whole instructions on how to build this  and all the pcb layout so i can etch one if need be !

ok

PRO POINTS :
- the board can drive one motor - bugger but they tell me within about a month they are updating the design to support two motors per board
- the board has address jumpers on board so 8 boards can be daisy chained to drive 8 motors independently ...soon 16 motors per daisy chained board setup
- board is programmable to  do "Full step " one winding "Full step"both windings and a half step  - so fine controll is possible maybee not necessary
- board voltage is 5v
- motor voltage is 12 volt up to 1 amp!

only $40.00 australian

still the problem of position reporting,

so if my sim has 3 pc's networked thats 24 motors at the moment... soon if all goes well maybee 48 motors to controll

i just need some one to extract the code out of flightsim and dump this in a basic language to the parallel port and whalla my instrument pannel will be sweet !!
HeLp any programmers out there !

cya

BEN   JONES
bjones@pipecomp.com.au