[simpits-tech] phidgits + Building Guages

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:47:30 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Albert Yung wrote:

> > but then I wonder if she's any good in the workshop?
>
> She can perform a Simpit version of  "Cant get u out of my head".

I can think of many things she'd be good at performing. None are suitable
for THIS list though!

> Also Roy, can u kindly explain this 8 stepper motors with a resolution of
> 400 steps revolution? Can it be used across a variety of sim in particular
> Falcon4 SP for us F16 pitters?
>
> I like the sound of the USB interface. I never considered to get into having
> functional gauges in my pit. Even if I wanted to, I have no idea how to do
> it... not to mention the possible cost involved.

The idea is simple:

Small circuit board has connections for up to 8 stepper motors. These have
200 steps/360' but can be driven in half steps giving you better than 1'
resolution - more than enough for cockpit instruments :)

The board is connected to the PC via a USB connector, you can then control
the position of each motor in software. So, read value from sim - set
motor to appropriate angle.  Repeat until bored.

Roy.