[simpits-tech] RE: CP Clock

jay-anna simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:20:54 -0500

I recently acquired a Waltham A13A/L aircraft clock.  This looks exactly
like the one in the F-16.  It may be the one in the F-16 as it fits
exactly into the Right Aux panel hole for the clock.  Anyway, on the
back of the clock is a 3 pin connector to hook up power to the clock to
run the back lighting.  The guy I got the clock from had originally told
me it was 5 V DC with one pin hot, the other ground and the other not
used.  I hooked up some power from one of my PC's mole connectors (5 V
DC) to the +/- terminals and it lit up just fine.  Did it repeatedly to
make sure I didn't blow out any bulb or circuit.  I email the guy back
about the connector and what the max amperage might be (so that I could
later place a fuse in the power line to prevent any power surge from
popping the light bulbs inside) and he told me that someone told him
that the lighting operates on 5 V AC not DC.  Does anyone know for sure
what the requirements of this clock are?  To any EE out there, can an
item wired for AC work on a DC current?  I didn't think that was
possible.

Jay "crease-guard"

"Show me a man who cannot be bothered to do the little things, and I
will show you a man who cannot be trusted to do the big ones."
--Lawrence Bell, Founder Bell Hellicopter