Re[3]: [simpits-tech] converting instruments

Chris Woodul simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:03:34 -0500

Hi Gene,

I will but I will have to make up a list and maybe Get Master Wietlespach to
do a better job than I can. He is the one who "woke up" my cockpit and talks
to the insturments. I left out of that last email that the Air Data
Computers that I got were chock full of the A to D converters...I know you
probably knew that from context or just smarts but I wanted others to know
thats what I meant. Even then there were not enough to cover my cockpit,
matts cockpit and of course Roberts in Holland. But regardless I have
learned a lesson in my short life: If I am patient, what I want will come my
way, that includes technologies and people like yourself and others who are
all working relentlessly to find solutions to expensive and complex
problems.
The Standby Airspeed Indicator that I am late in sending to you is one
example of an instrument that I will have to gut and convert into an
electrical instead of pnuematic. The same instrument is in the F-111.

By the way I just took the F-111F to Jacksonville Florida to the SAFE
symposium and I took all the electronics along with me and I had it fired up
in the display area ( along with some of my seats and a bunch of other seats
and an A-1 Cockpit that was not mine) and it was such a turn on to show the
system to so many people in a cool environment like that in a convention
hall.
The cockpit drew people in becuse it whines due to all the avionics fans
going and then when they got close they could see that it was all lit up and
that I could make the instruments work.
I ended up getting a whole bunch more stuff becuase of that, and I even
traded a sit in my cockpit to the Jacksonville Sherrifs Department for a
whole night of flying around in two different helicopters wearing NGV
goggles chasing bad guys...I got at least 3 hours of actual stick time in
the Jet Ranger! What a blast. A good cockpit is such a wonderful Ice breaker
and calling card. I meet some realy cool people becuase of it. Having it
come alive is really the best part. For many years the cockpits I had were
just quiet, dead things that got boring to sit in after a while....even
though the F-111 has been operable for a few years now, I have still not
gotten over the wonder and awe of it. Justin Messenger has sat in it with it
all fired up a couple of years ago, so he knows. It still is not up as a
full up interconected flight sim, due to my work constraints and Matt
Wietlespachs as well. My goal is to have it flyable with all flight
instruments and engine instruments connected wtihin the next year. The
pictures that I posted on the Member File area show the cockpit as it is
now. I can turn all that on, and control a bunch of the instruments manually
via special boxes that Matt built. These boxes will go away when the
instruments are connected into EPIC by Matt. I also have to build a very
complex control loading system with a trim system that works. Whats nice
about an F-16 is that Trim operations dont require back driving the stick,
nor are there any control loading issues. Gene I will share my Control
have an idea how you want to do it. You and I both have moving sticks with a
Trim/Artificial Feel system to run, so I am open to any of your ideas in
this area as well.
Ok I did it again, I have ranted and taken the world record for typos and
run on sentances...Ill shut up now

Chris Woodul