[simpits-tech] ACES II Replica, G- cueing Seat.

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:31:14 -0400

"Light and airy, organic if you will" that describes what I got from the I/V
transducer.  I was very surprised that I didn't have problems with latency,
dampening and "squishiness".  I thought for sure I'd have to build a complex
closed loop system with feedback from head/helmet pressure(that'd be a
bitch).  The I/V's maintains a very precise pressure in the system.  The
back-pressure produced by moving my head against the cylinder apparently is
sufficient feedback to do the trick.  It felt like I had a book on my head
and not like being attached to a spring.  I haven't tried it with Falcon4
yet as I'm too cheap to buy an $800 analog I/O card.  I may try the G-Suit
servo regulator(essentially the same thing) in place of the I/V.

Verbal descriptions only go so far. I've thought about doing some
quantitative measurements of the performance.  But hooking up the load
cells, pressure transducers, displacement transducers, and interfacing them
to a data logger is more complicated than the rig. :)  Maybe it'd be worth
it for the "peer review".

I did a lot of web searches, particularly at the US Patent Office site, and
have yet to find and instance of an I/V used this way.  I probably just
haven't looked in the right places.

I really appreciate your feedback.  It's so inspiring to have someone talk
so fluently and insightfully about the nitty-gritty of this.

Thank You,

Craig R.